Sunday, March 06, 2011

It Is a Funny Thing

As I typed the title of this post, I realized that it could be interpreted in a number of ways. I could have added a colon which would give it another meaning, but decided to leave it "neat" and allow it to be read however one wants to read it.

The point is that only a couple of weeks ago, I was in deep despair and ready to quit taking my warfarin. Since then, money has been slowly dribbling in and at the end of February, I had even managed to save a little which gave me a feeling of hope and optimism, and even courage: I think that courage is the right word as before the end of February, I was frightened about my financial situation and unsure if I was going to be able to manage. Last week, my son who along with his paramour is living with me rent/board-free, and one (two) of the reasons that my financial resources have been so drastically depleted, landed a job. We had no idea how many hours he will be offered, but in this job climate and with so many people competing for the little employment there is, we consider him to be exceptionally lucky to have this job. I have been thanking the Universe (Source) repeatedly ever since that day. And just this morning, my daughter called and made a mortgage payment; although only two-thirds of what she is legally and according to our contract supposed to pay me, was double what she had paid me in January and February. As she had been unable to make a mortgage payment for over a year due to having returned to college to study nursing, even the January payments were a treat. Psychologically, today's payment was wonderful because I was able to squirrel some into savings and that made me feel liberated from impending disaster.

I took my son to work this morning as I needed my car to do my Sunday stint of housework for my mother. At 1400h, my mother's phone rang and it was my son who had walked over from work at the end of his shift, for a ride home. As I had finished my work for my mother and was just ready to leave, his timing couldn't have been better. On the ride home, he told me that he was to work for the next four days and that one of the drivers -- my son has been employed by a local produce market -- was leaving to return to college and my son thinks that he will be taking over this delivery job. I again secretly thanked the universe for its benevolence. On the way home, we stopped at Country Grocer for a few essentials so that I wouldn't need groceries for a few days whil my son had my car at work, and I was so thrilled at the kindness of the Universe (Source) that when I was at the till, I donated to the food bank. At no time did I feel "cheap" or "thrifty," but indulgent but not in an extravagant way.

It has been a wonderful day and I feel a lightness that I haven't felt in some time. Thank you, thank you, Source.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment