Monday, February 28, 2011

Basking in Metaphysics

Last night, I spun my iPod dial to an Abraham Hicks audio called Think and Get Slim. I have not been interested in listening to or reading Abraham Hicks for quite some time, so was surprised that I felt a slight enthusiasm for listening to him. I don't even know why I was drawn to listening to Think and Get Slim as I just discovered that my body has righted itself without me doing very much of anything to help it except I disciplined myself to eat breakfast in the morning instead of late afternoon, and is finally within its correct body mass index. Its BMI could do to be a little lower, but I am not complaining and am even quite astonished that my number is 24: I would like it to be 22. I have listened to Abraham addressing people and their overweight issues and am familiar with the concept that beliefs and fears about food cause as much trouble as food itself. I suppose that this thinking is a little reminscent of Bruce Lipton's work with placebos as described in The Biology of Belief. Anyway, I am not presently feeling the need for advice on getting slim as whatever I am doing is working very well, but I listened to the cd anyway.

What transpired while listening to the first cd was so refreshing that I am going to revisit the works of Abraham over the next few days. Abraham-Hicks offers such hope and optimism and I felt an upward shift in my energy. The problem I have had with The Law of Attraction, etc. is that I cannot decide whether one should manipulate or attract circumstances and acquisitions with the mind, or leave that to God/Mystery as advised by Goldsmith and Adyashanti, to decide what It chooses for one. On the other hand, if by thinking and feeling a certain way one is affecting one's life and situation, it would be useful to educate one's Self on the appropriate techniques so that one can use one's thoughts and feelings effectively. In other words, if by feeling miserable about my financial forecast I am making financial matters worse for myself, and despite what God/Mystery has in mind for me, then it probably won't harm my situation or my relationship with God/Mystery if I relearn to use my thoughts and feelings in a productive and positive manner.

As I consider the teachings of Abraham, I find myself with more questions. How does non-duality come into this? What role does the mind and thinking have in relationship to this energy field or God? Is my mind affecting the energy field, or is it actually God posing as my mind, and affecting the energy field? And my most pressing questions is, do I take an active role in creating my life, or do I leave that job to God? In other words, Hicks or Goldsmith? Who is right?

I immediately liked that Abraham explained to a woman-participant, that the Universe likes spiritual seekers to demonstrate effect: therefore, it is better that a seeker demonstrate continually instead of on one or two grand occasions. Goldsmith teaches this, too. One of the reoccuring themes of these Hicks cds is that one is resisting and not going with the flow and accepting what is, and that is one's undoing. I have no problem with that. According to Abraham, another reason one is overweight is because one is not in alignment with all that is, ie God, which I suppose is the same as being out of the flow (trying to swim upriver). This idea of lack of alignment versus alignment makes sense to me and fits with teachings of Goldsmith and Adyashanti, and I think that it addresses the issue of non-duality. As Goldsmith teaches:
     "The presence of this Christ, gentle and small as It may be, is the substance of every experience that you will have on the outer plane. Seek neither health, nor wealth, nor fame, nor fortune. Seek first the realization of this inner kingdom and be a beholder as these outer things are added unto your experience." (Practicing the Presence. p.140). 

In the Hicks books, there is all this new talk about vortex and escrow and I am still working out what exactly is meant by these terms, especially as escrow is an American rather than a Canadian behaviour that is used during the sale of property, a system for holding the funds of the sale while the property is being transferred.

I had a most interesting experience today which I have had only a handful of times in the past. While I was walking Sadie, I really became involved with the energy or whatever it is that was causing my body to move rhythmically along the streets. In fact, I became so enchanted by It, that I extended our walk by a couple of blocks just so that I could continue to enjoy it.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment