Monday, February 21, 2011

Who Has Seen The Wind

I ended my last post with Who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I. But when the trees bow down their heads the wind is passing by. I have been pondering this ditty much since typing it last night and have a sense that it is helping me to understand something profound. In that last post, I began to suggest that this poem might be a metaphor for the mystery, or not so much a metaphor as I don't suppose the wind in the poem was intended to describe the mystery, but rather could be used as a simile.

I am now viewing God as something akin to the wind of this poem and that as a human being, it is more likely that one can come to have a sense of God by studying effects and contemplating that which causes them: God is not the effect itself nor is the bent over or swaying tree the wind, but because the tree is bent or swaying, one knows that wind might be present. With this in mind, as I walked I viewed everything I was seeing, feeling, and experiencing as an effect of God and tried to come up with a realization that could help me understand that which underlies or creates the effect. All I seemed able to summon was awe and the impression that whatever it is is completely mysterious and presently unknowable. This sense of awe and mystery invoked in me a feeling of quiet reverence.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment