Saturday, February 26, 2011

More About the Wind

After having typed the poem Who Has Seen the Wind, I was profoundly struck by the idea that maybe I was onto something, or at least had come up with an interpretation for The Mystery that might help me understand an aspect of It. I have spent quite a bit of this last week contemplating the ideas that I presented in that blog, and trying to apply them to whatever was happening around me, as well as to my Self. I am beginning to think that everything I see and experience is an outward appearance that is being caused by something else, which is what I remember hearing or reading from mystics and spiritual teachers. In other words and drawing a simile to Who has seen the wind ... etc, everything I see, hear, taste, feel is being produced by something and that something is probably what I want to become acquainted with. So now I not only look at a tree, but I meditate on what is causing that tree to be. I continue to derive a sense of deep reverence from this exercise and while I have no answer for what it is that is causing a tree, I am fairly certain that It is an important quality to consider. And I don't just apply this train of thinking to trees: I am applying it to everything, including my own being.

On Tuesday, when I went to read to a young adult, I had a few minutes to spare while waiting for him so popped into the antique mall where there is a quality used bookstore. I suddenly found myself standing in front of a shelf of novels and before my eyes was W.O. Mitchell's Who Has Seen the Wind. Out of curiosity, I opened the book and leafed through it looking for the poem I had quoted in my blog: I wanted to see if I had got it right. I found it and to my surprise, discovered that it had been penned by Christina Rossetti, and that it was the second and final verse of that poem. As Rossetti had become devout in her adult life, I now wonder if she actually intended that the poem express something mystical. I have Googled her and read several biographies, but cannot discern how spiritual she became during her life.

It really doesn't matter if Rossetti was spiritual or simply religious, or whether she intended that her poem be read at one level by everybody and at another level by spiritual seekers. As good works of art are likely inspired by The Mystery, the poem probably was meant to offer a bit of understanding about The Mystery: a little lesson. In Tomorrow's God, Neale Donald Walsch is told that spiritual teachings are found everywhere: God doesn't intend that they should be found in only one place or be given to one single teacher to share with those who are seeking.

In Practicing the Presence, Joel Goldsmith recommends taking one, just one, idea and working with it for several months until it melds with one's being and one totally "gets it." I don't know that I will continue to contemplate how The Mystery might be involved with or behind the appearance of everything, but it seems to be causing me to consider this idea and work with it. If I can stay with it and not be distracted by some new or innovative idea, it will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment