Wednesday, February 09, 2011

TOMORROW'S GOD

For the last two days, I have been feeling the urge to listen to Neale Donald Walsch again. I didn't feel like dealing with the cd player so I scanned my iPod for something, thought there was nothing of his on it, then found Tomorrow's God. I don't remember listening to this, ever, so I was curious and gave it a go. At first, I was somewhat apprehensive as the discussion between Walsch and God implied that humans are about to get a new God: out with the old, in with the new. It turned out that it was a misunderstanding. As the dialogue continued, I learned that what is really going on is the concept that more and more humans are going to redefine God as being an omnipotent omniscient omnipresent force or energy as talked about by all my favourite gurus, rather than the all powerful separate being as talked about by the world's religious movements. After my early skepticism and reluctance to continue listening, I became absorbed in what was being said, and impressed. I will need to listen to it many times, and many times again.

Before I had to bow out and sleep, I heard mention of the very ideas I was exploring in yesterday's post. Remember the exercise I was doing while I walked Sadie: my body is God, Sadie is God, God is walking, the road is God, the birds are God, the litter is God, etc? Although I can "get this" intellectually, I am still completely challenged to get it at an experiential level or whatever it is that will make the concept real for me. But I will pursue it. I understand the idea of quantum physics and cosmology being God, but am still somewhat ignorant about it and was glad to hear that subject being expanded by God and Walsch.

They even discussed that whole business of what is God's or of God -- everything -- is mine, and that one is to focus on one's abundance rather than lack, and that yearning for something that one does not have only makes matters worse because it implies that one lacks. It is more complicated than this and challenging to keep it up when one sees the abundance dwindling or drying up. I am not good at faking it 'til I make it.

This morning, while reading Goldsmith's Practicing the Presence, this same subject was developed and given a slightly different twist:
     "When we recognize God as the source of all good, God as our sufficiency, and that people and circumstances are but the avenue or instrument of our supply, we are likely to have the experience of Moses with manna falling from the sky, or Elijah with ravens bringing food, finding cakes baked on the stones, or a widow sharing. Anything can happen, but one thing is certain to happen, and that is abundance."

Goldsmith encourages the spiritual seeker to recognize God's gifts of abundance and see it coming from all sources and in unexpected forms. I used to be quite good at this, but during this present crisis, have seemed to lost my way and forgotten. I also like the metaphor of the fruit tree that bears abundantly from within its being rather than pulling fruit out of the atmosphere and sticking it on its branches. I suppose it has something to do with being human because I put too much faith in something I can see and touch and not enough trust in the abstract invisible Mystery.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment