Friday, January 14, 2011

Incorporeality

Today in Beyond Words and Thoughts, Joel Goldsmith explains the nature of incorporeality, according to his discernment of its meaning. According to various dictionaries, incorporeality means without a body or substance. The idea is that an existing something can effect matter, energy, or the physical even though it doesn't physically exist in the actual manifestation of the effect. Some would say that the human body is empty of God, but that God motivates it. This might be an example of what is meant by incorporeal.

Goldsmith mentions a fruitless banana plant in his garden. Although there are no bananas on it yet, there should eventually be bananas. Goldsmith suggests that although we don't see any fruit, it must exist: I think he is referring to the belief that there is a thought before something becomes manifest and that the though must exist. Therefore, in order for there to be bananas on the tree, there has to be a thought (thought is my human word for something I don't yet quite understand) for bananas on that tree. He goes on to say that the bananas will appear out of consciousness. He then writes and I quote:
     "From this, you can know that all supply is incorporeal. When it appears visibly, we attach a corporeal sense to it, but it is as present now as it ever will be. Consciousness is the fabric and the substance of all form, and consciousness is incorporeal. As it manifests, we attach a corporeal sense to it, but it does not necessarily have to be that way."

As I try and not be concerned about my finances and attempt to figuratively sit back and allow the universe to feed and shelter me or guide me to a source of supply, it is helpful for me to come across more "grist for this mind-mill" as I did in this morning's reading. Goldsmith is requesting that the reader not yield to the temptation of using the sort of common sense that is available to the human mind. Here is a quote about money:
     "For example, when you are using money -- whether spending it, giving it, or doing anything else with it -- do not accept the belief that you are passing it on to somebody else, because you are not. There is only one Self, and you are only transferring that money from your right-hand pocket to your left-hand pocket. You have just as much after you have given it away as you had before, because you did not give it away: you transferred it from one pocket to another, or you transferred it from one bank account to another, but it always remains in your name. What name? The name I, I."

Reading this reminded me of a mind technique I used to use, but has mostly fallen by the wayside, and also has caused me to adopt a new mind technique. Over a decade ago, I was sitting on a beach in Buckley Bay when I heard a jet. I looked up and when I saw the little bit of silver and its accompanying jet stream, I imagined all those lucky people who were heading off for a wonderful vacation. I then had to be truthful and realized that some of those passengers might be going home for a funeral, or fleeing a broken marriage, or on their way to some work-related event with powerful people that one feels the need to try and fit in with and with whom, one is always protecting one's true nature for fear that it might be off-putting to some professionals thus attracting negativity. I made the jump from feeling a little jealous of the people who were actually up there and enjoying a chosen happy exciting adventure to realizing that if we are all one "thing," even though I am physically down here on a cold Pacific Northwest beach, I am also up there in that jet. This thinking was quite an illumination for me. I have applied it to many situations, especially anything that might cause me to feel jealous or envious. I should also apply it to people in natural disasters, unnatural disasters, and victims of every sort, but mostly I choose not to.

And likewise, a few years ago I finally "got" that money is something that should be passed on; kept in circulation. I realized that whether money seemed to be with me or somebody else, it was actually with the whole. I also learned to feel gratitude for everything I purchased and all the people who made it possible for me to have whatever it is that I buy. I realized that, considering that we are one, even though money didn't appear to be in my little place in the universe, it was still benefitting my oneness or me as a collective being. However, these are words, and I think it must be true, and when I suddenly understood the left pocket/right pocket idea, I felt in my gut that it was true. It's just that from my human standpoint, the physical evidence still seems to affect how I think about my financial situation.

I even realized that money is energy and a symbol and one can't eat it. In other words, money is a means to allow me to feed and shelter myself. If I should come by food and shelter by other means than through money, I have been blessed. I have a lovely little home and I have food, so in its way, Universe is doing its part to keep me supplied and I have to learn to focus on that, and not on my bank account. This is very difficult for me to do, and I don't know why. I have done quite a bit of autolysis on this subject and sometimes I think I have made progress and sometimes it feels as if I have lost my way and even digressing. I know that my trust in God/Universe is still shaky, and I have to develop this.

My new mind-technique is this: as I went about my day, today, I carried with me a sense of I. Whenever I remembered, if I used the word I, meaning when my mental chatter said I in context with an action, I thought of I as being the true self and not my fictitious self. As I walked, type this blog, drove the car, and cooked dinner, I thought that God/Father is doing this work; not me. In other words, I am attempting to think of I as my true self or God/Goddess and not as me, or little me as some people like to think of it. It was quite an interesting exercise and I had the quaint sense of beginning to feel something new in my being every time I thought of I as God. Goldsmith likes to remind us that "my father doeth the work," and this is how I am attempting to interpret the word I.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment