Saturday, June 11, 2011

Holographic Universe

I have been listening to an oldie: discussions with Michael Talbot on his work "Holographic Universe." I really don't know. On the one hand, I want to believe what he said; on the other hand, I am skeptical. His work was something in the order of Lipton's work (The Biology of Belief). I don't think Talbot has any peer-reviewed research papers; nor do I think he conducted scientific experiments. Most of his information seems to be borrowed from other researchers, some of whom worked decades ago at a time when people believed whatever seemed plausible and without proof. As Talbot died of cancer at a very young age, he apparently didn't master the business of mind over matter that he talks so much about.

Having written this, I am able to validate some of his ideas based on experiences in my own life. While I do not understand how one can order the body to do one's will and have it obey, I have done this successfully on a few occasions, and witnessed my father go into remission from cancer when he announced that he had no intention of getting his affairs in order as recommended by his doctor. At present, I am struggling with a cough which is the last stronghold of a cold I recently had. I keep telling this cough that I have had enough of it, that I have got the message about keeping my peace when I need to speak my truth, and that the cough must go. It hasn't. Every day, it is incrimentally better, but it is still with me. One night when I was feeling particularly feverish and exhausted, I managed in the space of a thirty-second tirade against my lack of good health, to turn the cold around. Up to this point, I had been attempting to accept the cold, not resist it, and allow it to be what it was. In that tirade, I seemed to have at least switched off the fever because the aching joints relaxed and became comfortable and normal instantly.

Much of what Michael Talbot said had to do with physics and trying to find a relationship between science and spirituality. I wonder if he was a Theosophist? I liked that he reminded me that things like tables and chairs are energy fields that the eyes and mind are interpreting as solid objects. I will need to re-listen several times and see what more I can glean.

Talbot has me thinking about what Adyashanti and others of his level of spiritual development say: when everything falls away, what is left is all there is. Why I keep thinking this, I don't know, but I am beginning to grasp the significance of this claim.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment