Thursday, December 30, 2010

Spirituality, Infancy to Youth

This is my first post on this new blog that I have just created. To celebrate, my eighteen-month-old calico cat Shanti just arrived and opened the cupboard in my end table which she does very well and I have no idea how she does it, and is now settling down to sleep on my knitting projects. Whenever I am doing something important, she appears and hangs out close to me. My eight-and-a-half-year-old Pomeranian, Sadie, is sleeping on the couch next to me. My adult son is sitting at the other end of the couch enjoying "Castle."

It is 30 December 2010 and we are in the midst of a cold snap: the woodstove is managing to keep my elderly bungalow comfortably warm, but I found it necessary to place a blanket, rolled up and held like a sausage with rubber bands, at the base of the front door to keep a cold draft from invading my home. This rolled blanket is a twill gamp I wove on my Louet David: I used a turquoise Harrisville wool yarn in the warp and natural Harrisville wool yarn for the weft.

I plan to use my blog as a vehicle for exploring my metaphysical and spiritual adventure and development. I have been actively involved in spiritual discoveries and studies for most of my life.My parents came from England, each to an uncle living in the Victoria area, and met at a Theosophical meeting in Vancouver. By then, they were both vegetarian.

My spiritual development probably started when I was very small as even at the age of two I loved nature and gardens and thought that there might be fairies in them. By the time I was three, I was able to go into the garden daily throughout the spring and report back to my mother when I first sighted the new shoots of daffodils. At that time, we lived on the banks of Fuller Lake in Chemainus. I loved being outside in the garden, hanging out with our white cat and West Highland Terrier called Misty. I particularly remember helping my parents plant runner bean seeds in the garden, rowing with my father on the lake and being fascinated by small fish swimming beside the boat, and climbing a Yew tree at the front of the house. We didn't have TV, this was the 1950s, but apparently I could sing bits of Beethoven's sixth symphony.

Also, I had a repeated dream of being a very old scrawny emaciated man with brown skin, sitting on a branch by a river in a very hot part of the world, cicadas or something similar buzzing loudly all around me, and waiting to die. Every morning, when I was about two or three, I woke during this dream. How does a very young white girl living in the northwest coast of Canada where it is cool and damp know about brown skinned old men in hot steamy jungles with cicadas buzzing loudly all around him? I believe this was a past life, and have recently learned a little about how Hindu men prefer to go about dying. I will reveal this later

When I was seven, I started demanding to be taken to Sunday School. My mother complied by introducing me to the Unitarian Church in Duncan. When I was twleve, my parents took my sister and me to Camp Indralaya, a Theosophical camp, on Orcas Island. We returned there the following year, and I didn't make it back there until the summer of 2009.

When I was about fourteen, I joined a Chemainus group that studied Huna and learned about using positive thinking to create and/or manifest and heal. The Abraham Hicks/Secret stuff sounds similar, but during my readings of this other material, I didn't come across anything that suggested one be so positive that one adopt the attitude that whatever one is trying to manifest is already a fait accompli. In this Chemainus group, Huna was mostly used for healing others as well as studying its philosophy and techniques. One of the group had other psychic abilities, mediumship really, and we were occasionally visited by a ghost who some of us could see and who used to come and stand in the circle with us when we were attempting to send healing to somebody. At this time, and during some psychic development exercises, I realized that I might be capable of intuition. I have since learned that although I don't see ghosts -- I prefer to think of them as spirits -- I feel them and might occasionally be able to communicate with them. However and although mediumship is interesting, it is not something that I am motivated to develop, at least not at this time. From this Huna group I took the philosophy that I live in a great big universe that is quite capable of taking care of me and I have to learn to get out of the way and allow it to do its thing. I am still trying to learn how to do this -- I think. Or maybe the universe (10,000 unseen helping hands or 10,000 HH) has its way with me despite whatever I do or think. I am still trying to decide if this is the case, but have a sneaking hunch it is.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment